Overnight Photography Experience
The Overnight Crane Photography Experience provides guests with the opportunity to spend the night in a viewing blind on the banks of the Platte River and photograph thousands of cranes as they fly into the river at dusk, and lift off at dawn. Rowe Sanctuary’s discovery stations are strategically placed along the Platte River to provide excellent views of the Sandhill Cranes while they roost on the river. Photographers and their gear will be transported to the blinds. Make your reservation here!
Cost: $250/blind (Plus taxes and fees). Limit to 2 people.
Time and Duration: Approximately 16 hours. Combined evening and morning experience. Please plan to arrive and be prepared to go at the start time for your tour.
Location: All tours begin at the Iain Nicolson Audubon Center, at 44450 Elm Island Road, Gibbon, NE 68840. Drive time from south Kearney to the Iain Nicolson Audubon Center is approximately 20-25 minutes. From Grand Island, drive time is 45-50 minutes.
- Use of flash photography not allowed to minimize disturbance to cranes.
- Participants may use tripods and continuous shooting mode during the tour.
- Objects (i.e., camera lens) must not extend beyond the window of the overnight blind.
- Tablets are not allowed and cell phones must be placed on silent. Camera LCD screens must be dimmed. Auto focus lights should be turned off if possible.
- Rowe Sanctuary reserves the right to ban use of any device determined to be a nuisance.
- A guide will assist with transporting you and your gear to the overnight blind.
- Blinds are 6 ft. H x 8 ft. W x 6 ft. D. and are carpeted. Window heights are designed for sitting.
- Temperatures in March and April regularly reach below freezing and blinds are not heated. You are responsible for bringing the proper equipment and clothing to stay warm overnight. Suggested items include a dark colored winter coat, insulated gloves, stocking cap, wool socks, extra clothing including thermal layers, a 0 degree sleeping bag, sleeping pad, pillow, camp chair, food and water.
- No heaters or stoves of any type.
- A porta-potty is provided in your overnight blind.
- You are required to remain in your overnight blind during the entire duration of the experience until your guide arrives the following morning, with the exception of medical emergencies. If you are not experienced at cold weather camping or do not have adequate gear, you should consider signing up for one of our morning or evening viewing trips instead.
- No alcoholic beverages or smoking allowed.
- Small red flashlights are provided and non-red lights are not allowed. No headlamps please.
- Failure to cooperate with rules can result in a lifetime ban from this experience.
- Reservations are limited to 2 adults per blind.
- Pre-payment is required. We accept Visa, MasterCard & Discover.
- Cancellations are refundable up to 14 days prior to your trip, but are subject to a 5% charge on your purchase total.
- We appreciate your understanding that every crane viewing experience is unique. Weather during your tour and location where cranes choose to roost is beyond our control.
Please be aware that ALL of our current programming is subject to change.
All overnight tours will be cancelled and refunds given, when the National Weather Service issues a Weather Warning the day of the tour prior to start time.
We evaluate local conditions daily to determine the extent that crane viewing opportunities can take place. The safety of our staff, volunteers, and guests are the utmost priority.
Rowe Sanctuary’s current plan for operating during the Crane Season:
We will be working with our local health department, two rivers public health department, the state of Nebraska and the National Audubon Society as guidance on our safety procedures during the Crane Season. Please realize all tours are subject to cancellation and refunds will be available if Covid-19 precautions change our scheduling.
If you have any questions, please call the center at (308) 468-5282.
How you can help, right now
Become a Volunteer
Volunteers are critical to the operations at the Iain Nicolson Audubon Center at Rowe Sanctuary. Take a look at our volunteer opportunities and consider joining this incredible team.
Make a Gift Today
Your generous support helps to ensure that Sandhill Cranes and other wildlife that depend on the Platte River will have this wonderful resource for years to come.
Rowe Sanctuary's Online Gift Shop
Our gift shop has a wide variety of items and your purchase supports our conservation efforts along the Platte River in south-central Nebraska.