This tour is designed for photographers and allows the use of tripods and continuous shooting mode which are not allowed on the regular Guided Crane Tours. Participants must be able to carry their own gear over half a mile to and from the experience in the dark. Flash is not allowed.
Reservations can be made on-line or by calling 308-468-5282 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Time, Monday-Friday Please review the information below prior to making a reservation.
Tour Start Times:
6:00 a.m. & 6 p.m. - March 13 - April 12
$100/person/tour (taxes and fees not included). Tour lasts approximately three hours.
Pre-payment is required and can be done with Visa, MasterCard & Discover.
Note: Cancellations are refundable up to 14 days prior to your trip, but are subject to a 5% charge on your purchase total.
Where to Meet:
All tours start at the Iain Nicolson Audubon Center. Directions: Take I-80 Exit 285 (Gibbon exit) and drive south two miles to Elm Island Road, turn west (right) onto Elm Island Road and travel two miles to the Iain Nicolson Audubon Center parking lot entrance located on the north side of the road.
Drive time from south Kearney to the Iain Nicolson Audubon Center is 20-25 minutes. From Grand Island, drive time is 45-50 minutes.
N 40° 40.178
W 98° 53.088
March and April can be very cold and you will be standing in an unheated blind for about two hours, so dress appropriately. It is better to wear too much than not enough.
What to Wear:
- Dress in layers
- Winter coat and cold weather clothing, including long underwear
- Boots/shoes along with wool or synthetic socks (avoid cotton)
- Mittens or gloves, stocking cap or insulated hat
- Dark clothing helps to blend in with the surroundings when walking to and from the blinds
What to Bring:
- Camera (NO FLASHES) &/or video camera
- Warm drinks & snacks (chemical toilets are outside each blind)
- Flashlights are NOT allowed
Photography Policy for Photographers Crane Tour
- Rowe Sanctuary reserves the right to ban use of any device determined to be a nuisance.
- No flash allowed.
- Tripods and continuous mode or rapid fire photography are allowed.
- Camera lenses cannot extend outside of the window. This applies to everything else as well (i.e. - hands, face, binoculars, etc.)
- Use of tablets (Ipads, etc.) are not allowed and cells phones must be placed on silent.